Monday, June 1, 2009

Thoranai - My Review


First of all, I would like to thank God for giving me a free ticket to this movie. I would have killed myself if I had paid Rs 100 for this nonsense. And God, I would be a very happy man if you could reimburse the money I spent on popcorn and coke as well. Having said that, you must have got an idea about how interesting the movie is and here is what it is all about.

The film is all about Murugan (vishal) who comes to Chennai in search of his long lost brother and gets entangled in problems with two famous thugs Guru and Tamilarasan (Prakash Raj) and in the process has romance with Indhu (shriya). I really don’t want to get into the details of the story as it makes no difference to the review, but one thing I should mention is the director has carefully preserved all the attributes of a “rowdy-good guy-related-action-film”. Let me give u a list of such attributes.

1. A pathetic high end introduction for hero. (but it doesn’t beat vijay’s kuruvi. Hero flying out of drainage)

2. Serious dialogues that can only make you laugh (or sometimes cry)

3. Absolutely no logic

4. Hero has friends who are comedians and heroine has friends who look sick.

5. Guy from village “corrects” software company girl.

6. Gorgeous heroine having absolutely no role in the story.

7. Average and unimpressive action sequences.

8. Hero going to minister’s house, rowdy’s house and probably even to white house, threatens to kill and comes out safe.

9. Stupid music

10. And hopeless lyrics

Thoranai has few more elements that makes the movie more nonsensical. Vishal’s overacting and dialogue deliver; hero’s brother saying to hero “hey if they know that you are my brother, they will kill you” after the hero trumpets the news to every enemy he has found; shriya kissing vishal without anybody seeing them outside her “software company” where people are walking in; and just because the movie’s name is thoranai, vishal shouting “thoranai thoranai thoranai” till everyone walks out of the theater while Prakash Raj does the job when vishal takes break.

The only aspect of the movie that is worth the ticket money (though I did not pay for the movie!) is Santhanam and his amazing comical dialogues. He was simply stunning in the movie.

½* / 5 – The half star is for Santhanam. If somebody could compile all his scenes from the movie and release a short film, I’ll watch it thrice!

Verdict: vomit

P.S: Shriya Saran, please marry me…

No comments: