Saturday, March 1, 2008

My Top 5 Mani Movies


Like every single person in india, I too am a fiery fan of Mani Ratnam or “The God of Tamil Cinema”. This splendid director never gets me bored with his film making tactics. Sometimes when I am bored, I start watching a Mani Ratnam movie to glory! And in those many movies he has made, this is my favourite top 5.

1. Iruvar


This film stands the test of time. A controversial and complex film based on the real life history of the MGR and M.Karunanidhi. Although this was a box office flop, I always consider it as Mani’s best work. He articulately expresses the ego and friendship between the two that I feel the ambiance that prevails around them. Whatsoever, only Mani Ratnam can come out with a better movie than this!

2. Mouna Raagam


A lot of people call this as Mani Ratnam’s masterpiece and I absolutely comply with it. Though I like Iruvar better than Mouna Raagam, it is still Mani’s masterpiece. Everything about this movie was perfect. The cinematography, acting, music, screenplay, direction and every other aspect seemed just fine. The subject was a delicate one and needed careful handling and Mani handled it more than just well. The way he depicted love and relationship on screen was brilliant. And yeah, this is probably the only film of Mohan that I liked. I never knew he could act so well.

3. Thalabathi


Yes, I know what you are thinking. How come such an ardent fan of Rajinikanth is placing a Rajini movie here at 3? Well, when it comes to Mani, we always see surprises don’t we? This is beautifully carved film with Rajini doing a fantastic job. I am surprised actually, because the movie originally came into Mani’s mind as a subject from the Friendship of Karna and Arjuna in Mahabaratha. It just has everything, the orphanage problem, friendship, mother-son relationship, and not to forget, a tragic love. It is astounding that such a simple concept was carved in this amazing way. I have watched this film over 20 times now and I won’t get bored with it even if it reaches 100.

4. Nayagan


Should I say anything about this film? The title itself talks all about it. I am no great Kamal Haasan fan but I should say that I was completely awestruck after watching this movie for the first time as a kid. This Godfatherish style film was bravely and meticulously localized that I found no complaints about it. This is another one of those films that I can go on watching without any stopping.

5. Guru


Now that’s a movie that came out too recently and probably the film that elevated Abishek Bachan as an actor. I never really considered Abhishek as an actor, he was not even a mile closer to his father but in this film he rocketed to a pinnacle too high. This is Mani’s first Hindi success and he is striding on more expeditions in bollywood now. This film, loosely based on Ambani was a marvelous film. The screenplay and cinematography was a complete wonder. Aishwarya rai, on the other hand, supported terrifically. All in all, a thunderous movie.

This completes my top 5 Mani list but this is no indication that I don’t love his other movies. Alaipayuthey, Bombay, Kannathil Mutham Ittaal, Dil se, Roja, Thiruda Thiruda, Anjali, Agni Natchathiram and Ayutha Ezhuthu are films that I can never forget.

Photobucket

No comments: