Thursday, March 13, 2008

The NewFolder.exe Virus


I was too careful about pen drive and always made sure that i don't insert it in any of my college computers but today i had no other choice and all that happened after that was what i just expected.

A virus called New Folder.exe settled in my pen drive and even after repeated formatting of the drive, it recreated itself. It had an icon of that of a folder but of course its not a folder. U can confirm it in DOS or if u have left the "hide extensions" option unchecked in the "Folder Options".

When i double-clicked it, a process called regsvr.exe started running and though it appeared to take only little memory from my RAM as seen in the Task Manager, my system got terribly slow.

So spent a long time browsing and finding about this virus and its solutions but it was all futile. You can get more information about this virus here.

Now, the solution.
All that i did was just one small thing.
I reformatted my pen drive again but now in the NTFS now.
Whoooaaah (Al Pacino style!!)
It worked.
I could reuse the pen drive again without any probs after that.

Now, i still don't understand the logic behind this. I have still not figured out why this caused restitution of my drive but I am going to find out soon.

So for all those who are having this prob, just try it out. No harm in trying!!

If anybody knows the reason behind the success of this method, i would love your comment here. Or if anyone has a solution to it which is far more better than this one, i would like you to speak about it here.

Thats all folks. Have a great day!

Photobucket

1 comment:

thecancerus said...

hey,

http://amiworks.co.in/talk/how-to-remove-new-folderexe-or-regsvrexr-or-autoruninf-virus/

read this article and you will find the reason behind it. And if i guessed correctly the your system might be affected by regsvr virus itself.