Monday, April 7, 2008

Vellithirai - My Review


This is the third movie review I am posting here and this blog seems to have become a movie reviews portal. Since I cannot live without movies, and since I am absolutely jobless in this one month study holidays I have, I am entrancing myself by watching more movies than I usually do. So here is what I think about Vellithirai.

I was much excited about this film’s release and expected it to be even better than this duo’s previous film “mozhi”, but to tell you the truth, I am sort of disappointed with it.

The film revolves around Prakash Raj and Prithviraj, two so called friends trying to achieve success in cinema. While Prakash is striving to become a successful actor in the mainstream, Prithvi is on his endeavour to be well established director. While prithvi is on no interest to cast Prakash in his movie, prakash steals the script, registers the script and even completes the film with self as hero and ultimately sees success in his career. Prithvi stands helpless and he goes on writing other stories. But later in his life, he is forced to make a movie with Prakash Raj as the hero and the climax is something one wouldn’t expect.

Despite its strong subject and the fact that the performance of even a single actor in the movie cannot be faulted, the film fails to elicit the viewer’s interest because of its slow pace, untimely songs and unnecessary sequences and dialogues. I would have really walked out of the theatre but I was pulled back only because the duo were doing a good job.

Gopika did a fine job and does look beautiful. Songs and the way they have been depicted seemed inappropriate and loose. Unlike mozhi, the cinematography stands too low. To sum it up, the film might just cross the line of a decent entertainer.

***/5 – One for the good performances, one for the strong subject and one exclusively for the duo’s chemistry as friends and enemies in the movie.

Verdict : Far too below the duo’s much deserving successful previous entertainer, Mozhi.

Photobucket

No comments: